COPPER SCRAP RECYCLING FACTS
The research reveals that scrap usage for copper - both for secondary refined copper production and direct use of scrap - increased worldwide by 41% from 5.9 million tonnes in 2000 to 8.3 million tonnes in 2015 (worth around US$ 46 billion at that time). Production of aluminium from scrap increased by 86% from 8.4 million tonnes in 2000 to 15.6 million tonnes in 2015 (worth around US$ 26 billion at that time).After silver, copper has the best electrical conductivity of all the elements. It is also a very good thermal conductor and is readily alloyed with other metals like lead, tin and zinc for foundry applications to produce, among other goods, products for the transmission of water such as valves. Other common applications for recovered copper include: Electrical applications: Wires, circuits, switches and electromagnets. Piping: Plumbing fittings and also refrigeration, air-conditioning and water supply systems. Roofing and insulation. Household items: cookware, doorknobs and cutlery.Copper’s recycling value is so high that premium-grade scrap holds at least 95% of the value of the primary metal from newly-mined ore. Recycling copper saves up to 85% of the energy used in primary production. By using copper scrap instead of adopting the primary route, CO2 emissions are reduced by around 65%.
key findings about Metal Scrap recycling from the report suggest
- The demand for ferrous material in metal scrap recycling is growing. The usage of it in several products is high. For instance, in the year 2018, the metal scrap recycling rates for ferrous scrap in cars was 106%, for appliances: 90%, for steel cans: 66.8%, for structural steel: 98%, and for reinforcement steel: 70%.
- The dominant end-user of the recycled metal scrap was the building and construction industry. It held the largest market share of 35.1% in the year 2019. The increased ongoing construction activity all across the globe in the past few years and growing conscious of sustainable development has encouraged the segment’s end users to use more recycled metals.
- The demand for steel was slow in China in the year 2018, but it witnessed a rise in the rest of the world, mainly due to the United States’ strong economy. Increased consumer spending, as well as business confidence, has led to solid product demand. This boosted the demand for recycled metals in the North American region and other parts of the world.
- Manufacturers are witnessing an increase in price for copper, steel, and other raw materials, mainly due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This is going to make the recycled metal more appealing as the process of recycling is far less expensive than mining for ore.
- Key participants include Meprotrade Metal Scrap Management, among others.
Metal Scrap Recycling Industry Overview
Global Metal Scrap Recycling Market was valued at $304,633 million in 2014 and is expected to reach $446,472 million by 2022, supported by a CAGR of 4.5%. Metal scrap recycling refers to the reprocessing of metal scrap into valuable to reduce greenhouse gas emission levels, preserve natural resources, and manage energy consumption. The governments in developed regions such as Canada, the USA, U.K., and others have taken measures to promote the metal recycling industry through better scrap collection systems, separation, and sorting processes. For instance, the Government of Canada has been working with the provinces, territories, and industries to promote the re-use and recycling of metal products. This would enhance not only the Canadian’s recycling industry but also its metal industry.
The high rate of obsolescence, increase in energy savings with decreased greenhouse gas emission levels, accelerating industrialization and urbanization in developing nations, and increasing consumer awareness drive the market for metal scrap recycling. In addition, the increasing scarcity of rare earth metals provides an opportunity for the global market. However, the unorganized flow of waste (scrap) metals and less scrap collection zones is anticipated to restrict the market growth. The global metal recycling market is segmented on the basis of metal type, end-user industry, and geography. Based on metal type, the market is segmented into ferrous metals and non-ferrous metals. By the end-user industry, the market is classified into automotive, packaging, shipbuilding, industrial machinery, electronics & electrical equipment, and others. Building & construction generated the highest revenue in the year 2014 owing to increased disposal of building waste into the landfills. Geographically, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, and other developed states.
Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA. Asia-Pacific contributed the highest revenue in 2014 and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Some of the key players that operate in this market among them Meprotrade Metal Management is the leading pioneers of the metal scrap industry. Dealing in Metal Scrap Buy & Sell. It is the Global Metal Scrap Trading Group we deal with Manufacturing Metal Scrap, Factory Dismantling, Junk Vehicles, Used Rail, Housed Hold, Municipal Metal Recycling, Refrigeration, heat Exchangers, Metal Appliances, Brass & Copper, Aluminum Metal Scrap Buy & Sell.
Value Chain Analysis of Metal Recycling Market
The value chain analysis of the metal recycling market includes various stakeholders such as scrap traders, recycling companies, forging companies, end-users, and consumers. The scrap traders and dealers are suppliers whereas the end-user industries are the buyers of the market. Automotive, packaging, shipbuilding, building & construction among others are some of the end-user industries which are generally offered semi-finished goods from the recyclers for their further production.
A large part of this stakeholder group is unauthorized. After acquiring the waste from various sources, scrap dealers separate the items to be retained for resale and kept for dismantling. Based on the resale value of these second-hand products, these decisions are taken. The items that kept for dismantling and recycling are passed to the warehouses.
However, some of the traders ensure in-take of ferrous and non-ferrous scrap items from major automotive, building and manufacturing companies. Furthermore, such scrap when sent to recycling companies would result into high-quality finished and semi-finished goods.
The waste metals are then sent to the recycling companies, such as, ArcelorMittal, SIMS, Aurubis AG among others. The waste is sorted and shredded into semi-finished and finished goods. For instance, Nucor Corporation recycles waste steel items into hot-rolled steel, bars and rods to be further used in automotive, construction, machinery and shipbuilding sectors. Generally, these players dealing with recycling operations are spread over different areas and handle different operations of recycling.
The metal recycling market is segmented based on metal type, end-user industry, and geography. By metal type, the market is classified into ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Ferrous metals generated the highest revenue owing to high scrap consumption and its recycling rate.
Based on the end-user industry, the market is segmented into building & construction, packaging, automotive, shipbuilding, electronics & electrical equipment, and others. Building & construction was the highest revenue-generating end-user industry as the sector generates high metal waste owing to increased demolition rate. However, electronics contain heavy and high valued metals, such as lead, copper, gold, and aluminum and its recycling ensure natural resources conversation. Therefore, the electronics & electrical equipment industry is the fastest-growing sector during the forecast period.
The market has been analyzed based on four regions, namely, North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA. Asia-Pacific contributed the highest revenue to the global market in 2014 and is expected to maintain its dominate during the forecast period.
Key Benefits of Metal Recycling Market
- The report includes an in-depth analysis of the global metal recycling market, along with the current trends, drivers, restraints, and growth opportunities.
- Porter’s Five Forces model illustrates the potency of buyers and sellers, which is expected to help the market players to adopt effective strategies.
- Value chain analysis provides a clear understanding of the key intermediaries involved and their respective roles at every stage.
- Key market players are profiled to gain an understanding of the strategies adopted by them.
- The current market trends are quantitatively analyzed and estimated from 2016 to 2022, which are provided to highlight the financial competency of the market.
Metal Recycling Market Segmentation
By Metal Type
- Ferrous Metal
- Non-ferrous Metal
By End User Industry
- Building & Construction
- Industrial Machinery
- Electronics & Electrical Equipment
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East